Friday, August 15, 2008

Do You Sight Read?

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too [No, you don't. It only means you can sight read. --nk]
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

And yes, sight reading does hurt your spelling. You see it when you're trying to write something.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could read it, and it hasn't hurt my speling any.

Fri Aug 15, 05:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dotter can reed it, to.

Fri Aug 15, 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger nk said...

Heh! Maybe it's just me, then.

Fri Aug 15, 05:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could read it, too. I don't know about the spelling but it affected my apostrophe usage.

Fri Aug 15, 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the mind really is amazing.

Fri Aug 15, 06:10:00 PM  
Blogger Doc Rampage said...

I could read it. It's an interesting suggestion about spelling because I've always had trouble with spelling.

Here's something odd that might be related. In those school years when we had written spelling tests and oral spelling bees, I was about middle of the class on the spelling tests and one of the top of the class in the spelling bees.

I always thought it had to do with the fact that I never studied the words for the spelling tests and that practice, ironically, better-prepared me for the spelling bees. But maybe it has something to do with the way I read.

Sun Aug 17, 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger BigLeeH said...

Tihs wokrs btteer if you use shrot wrdos. The "frist and lsat leetrts" rule is pettry srotng. One, two and trhee lteetr wdors come out namlorly. Four letetr wrdos cmoe out nllraomy half the time. Lhtgney pysabilylolc veirgbae boceems grbiebish.

(This works better if you use short words. The "first and last letters" rule is pretty strong. One, two and three letter words come out normally. Four letter words come out normally half the time. Lengthy polysyllabic verbiage becomes gibberish.)

Mon Aug 25, 03:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home