Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sears Hires McDonald's Rejects?

I have never worked at McDonald's but my experience as a customer is that its staff is polite, hard-working and customer oriented. I walked into the tool department of a Sears store, today, and asked the early-twenties, perfect-haircut, white-shirt, photo-ID-around-neck salesman where I could find a tapered hand-reamer. He gave me a smart-aleck smirk and said "I don't even know what that is". I said, "Yes, that's what I thought " and walked out. He went on with his "job" which seems to be hanging around the floor until his shift ends. I noticed this about Sears around three or four years ago. It seemed that it had gotten rid of all its old staff and replaced it with "entry-level" people who seem determined to stay at entry level. Considering that it sells nothing that cannot be found elsewhere, I see no reason for me or anyone else to shop there.
As an aside, maybe losing manufacturing jobs overseas is not that bad after all. I sure would not want this kid I talked to, today, to be making a car my child will ride in.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at a Sears a few years ago and found some things I wanted to buy. But there was no one around. I couldn't even pay for them; I eventually noticed the cameras and held up my checkbook to one of them and tried to indicate "OK, I'm ready to pay now." I'm not sure if anyone saw me or it did any good, but evenyually someone showed up.

Dept. stores and others found out that most people are not willing to pay extra for customoer service - that's what happened there.

Fri May 19, 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger nk said...

Hey, Psyberian:

Thanks for visiting. When did you do it? Combined with my poor eyesight and Blogger's "you get what you pay for" I imagine it was 25 days ago. Sorry.

Wed May 24, 02:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember when I commented above NK - about a week ago maybe? (Today is 5/24/06)

Wed May 24, 04:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home