Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Internet Ad Fraud

I had the dubious pleasure of playing whack the mole with a browser hijacker the last few days. What it apparently did was to make it seem as though I were clicking on various internet ads, hundreds of times a minute. Clean ones, thankfully, ranging from Honda automobiles to retirement communities. The only purpose I can think of is to cheat the buyers of those ads if they are paying per number of clicks.

Reviewing my history, my best guess is that my daughter picked it up by following one link too many at Amazon.com's children's games and toys category.

The perpetrator may be "ads.targetedbanner.biz". One of the fraud victims may be "edmunds.com". Of necessity, I had to delete my cache and cookies several times manually in addition to what my security programs were doing so I did not preserve the information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home