Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To Sautee Or Not To Sautee?

I make this thing which is a spaghetti sauce and/or Sloppy Joe, take your choice.

I chop a large onion fine and sautee it in a seven quart pot with a little olive oil, medium heat, until it's translucent, not browned. I add about two and a half pounds of 95% ground meat and brown it gently, stirring frequently, until the blood turns into juice. A 16oz can of tomato sauce, minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, nutmeg, two or three pints of water. Simmer for about two hours.

Well, I thought that maybe I should not be sauteeing or browning. We used to call them saturated fats, now they call them trans fats. So I just dumped everything together into the pot and started boiling it. Brought it to a boil, lowered the heat to a simmer. About two hours. We'll see if it's the same thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I like to saute the onions to help them break down - I fart less that way, my wife appreciates that too because she also farts less! :-)

Tue Oct 20, 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Cargosquid said...

Soooooo?

Which is better?

Tue Nov 03, 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger nk said...

Nae a wee bit o' the difference, as far as I can tell.

Tue Nov 03, 03:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home