Sunday, December 24, 2006

Pottery Barn Musings On The Day Before Christmas

So you want to spend a Sunday afternoon, on the day before Christmas, with two double shots of Knob Creek, a roast beef sandwich, a little TV and a nap but the Christmas present your wife wants is Pottery Barn cubby shelves that require assembly:
1. It doesn't mean that she doesn't love you;
2. Read the so-called "instructions" all you want but you're still going to do the job by trial and error;
3. Don't use your tools, use the tools they provide and still use only girl-strength because when you hear that cracking sound as you're torquing down on that blind bolt it's too late;
4. Stuff made in Vietnam is much superior in material, workmanship and ease of assembly to stuff made in Thailand.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our esteemed host wrote:

Don't use your tools, use the tools they provide and still use only girl-strength because when you hear that cracking sound as you're torquing down on that blind bolt it's too late.

Mrs NK doesn't know that you have this blog, does she? :)

Thu Dec 28, 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger nk said...

Sure she does. I even read this post out loud to her. She will never let me convince her that this stuff is designed to be put together by the women who want it.

Thu Dec 28, 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My darling bride has a tactic that seems to work. If there's something she wants me to do, but I keep putting it off and putting it off (I have procrastination down to an art form), she just starts it herself, knowing that I'll have to finish it.

Of course, her best one was when she called me at work, and said that she had some paint samples she wanted to show me for the kitchen. When I got home, I discovered that "paint samples" meant paint on the walls! And that removed the option of simply not painting at all.

Mon Jan 01, 09:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home