Thursday, February 07, 2008

Men Don't Care What They Wear

Instapundit reports on MEN WITHOUT CHESTS. "Nowhere was this more clear than at the recent men’s wear shows in Milan and Paris, where even those inured to the new look were flabbergasted at the sheer quantity of guys who looked chicken-chested, hollow-cheeked and undernourished. Not altogether surprisingly, the trend has followed the fashion pack back to New York." And there's this diagnosis: "“People are afraid to look over 21 or make any statement of what it means to be adult."

With all due respect, crap. No man over the age of twenty-one cares what he wears. My best suit is from J.C. Penney -- $80.00 including tax. My favorite shirt is from Goodwill -- $5.00. My wife buys my pants at Costco and she has not spent more than $16.00 for a pair yet (that she will admit to, anyway). The last pair she bought me has an elastic waistband and I cannot fault her -- I am gaining weight. I spend more money on haircuts than I do on clothes and that's only $20.00 per month including tip. And I'm a lawyer.

To quote my most renowned (former) neighbor, Mike Royko: The only statement I make with clothing is that I am not naked.

Whomever men's fashion designers are targeting, it's not grownup men.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that we can rest assured that you are not a metrosexual!

Sat Feb 09, 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger nk said...

The way I see it, if God did not want me to look like a knob-boned, hairy geek with an incipient (thank God only incipient so far) potbelly, He would not have made me a knob-boned, hairy geek with an incipient potbelly.

Sat Feb 09, 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger nk said...

It would seem sacrilegious to me to try to improve on His Plan.

Sat Feb 09, 03:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But does Mrs K try to steer you toward certain clothes?

Mon Feb 11, 07:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home